Meet ARVC-MI's new Executive Director Lori Tews

Recently, the Michigan Chapter of the Association of Recreation Vehicle and Campgrounds has a new executive director - Lori Tews!

Recently, Lori took time to answer a few questions from me:

1. Congratulations on being named the Executive Director of ARVC Michigan! Tell us a bit about yourself, especially any camping that you may have done (or still do)! 

I grew up in Bay City, MI not far from the Saginaw Bay. Because of my parents love for the outdoors I spent my childhood fishing, snowmobiling, 3-wheeling and camping. Most of our adventures were along the northern eastside of the Michigan and the Upper Peninsula. One story my family loves to tell is the time they moved me from the tent to the station wagon after my cousin and I had fallen asleep. In the morning my cousin woke up and my uncles told him that a bear must have gotten me. He was pretty upset until he saw me get out of the back of the station wagon. I would say my fondest memories of camping is sitting around the campfire with my family listening to the burning coals crackle, making Hobo pies, swimming and fishing along the river, and the fresh air and the millions of stars in the dark sky.

I received my BA in Communication from Saginaw Valley State University. Following graduation, I packed my bags for the windy city—Chicago, IL. It was a great location to establish my professional career and experience the beauty of the big city set along the blue, green waters of Lake Michigan. Though I loved city living there was always something missing from my life and that was camping. I tried but never could find a friend who was willing to give up the 4-star hotel for a pop-up camper, s’mores and the fresh air. In 2011, I made the choice to box up my home and took my two cats on a road trip back home to Michigan. Becoming Executive Director for the Association of RV Parks and Campgrounds of Michigan makes my decision that much sweeter!

2. You've been in your position just a short time, but have you learned so far about ARVC Michigan?

ARVC Michigan members have been so inviting and friendly, and have graciously welcomed me into their family. In the short time I’ve been in my position I have learned that they are very passionate about the Michigan RV park and campground industry, and they love what they do. 

3. What are your short- and long-term goals for the organization?

Short-term:
  • Recruit membership
  • Increase participation during the spring convention and trade show and fall conference
  • Build upon the ARVC Michigan brand
Long-term:
  • Improve legislative communication between the Association and membership
  • Increase ARVC Michigan’s visibility to the Midwest camper
  • Overall growth and value of the Association