Michigan's Crooked River/Alanson Lock in Emmet County to Open April 23

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources recently announced that the Crooked River Alanson Lock, also known as the Alanson Lock, in Emmet County will officially open for the 2011 boating season on Saturday, April 23, one week prior to the trout season opener for all boating and fishing enthusiasts.

"Final restoration improvements were made by the Army Corps of Engineers last fall and they are all up-to-date,” said Dennis McDermott, DNR lock supervisor. "The locks are in the best shape they have ever been in 10 years, and we're looking forward to a new season."

The lock, which is owned by the Army Corps of Engineers and operated by the DNR, is located in Emmet County on the popular Michigan Inland Waterways. It serves as a link between Crooked Lake and Burt Lake, through the Crooked River.

Passage fees remain the same for the 2011 season; $6 for daily passage, and $45 for seasonal passage.

For more information about the 2011 Crooked River/Alanson Lock schedule, hours of operation and lock fees, contact Petoskey State Park at 231-347-2311 (TTY/TDD711 Michigan Relay Center for the hearing impaired), or visit the web site at www.michigan.gov/boating.

Recreation Passport
The Recreation Passport has replaced motor vehicle permits for entry into Michigan state parks, recreation areas and state-administered boating access fee sites. This new way to fund Michigan's outdoor recreation opportunities also helps to preserve state forest campgrounds, trails, and historic and cultural sites in state parks, and provides park development grants to local communities.

Michigan residents can purchase the Recreation Passport ($10 for motor vehicles; $5 for motorcycles) by checking "Yes" on their license plate renewal forms, or at any state park or recreation area. To learn more about the Recreation Passport, visit www.michigan.gov/recreationpassport or call 517-241-7275.

Non-resident motor vehicles must still display a valid 2011 Non-Resident Recreation Passport ($29 annual; $8 daily) to enter a Michigan state park, recreation area or state-administered boating access fee site, which can be purchased at any state park or recreation area, or through the Michigan e-Store at www.michigan.gov/estore. For a list of boating access fee sites that require a Non-Resident Recreation Passport, visit www.michigan.gov/boating, or visit www.mcgi.state.mi.us/MRBIS for all boating access sites throughout the state.

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state’s natural and cultural resources for current and future generations. To learn more, visit www.michigan.gov/dnr.