First Day of the Detroit Fall RV Show

It's about 10:30 p.m. and I'm finally able to get to my computer.

I spent three hours at the 22nd Annual Detroit Fall Camper & RV Show earlier this evening and I should be back again tomorrow after work, too.

A sign in the lobby tells you know there's 206 RVs on display. Most are 2011 models, there's a dozen or so 2012 models and there's at least one prototype on display. Depending on what you're looking for - motor home, 5th wheel, toy hauler, travel trailer, pop-up or truck camper - there's more than enough to keep you busy.

I took a ton of video and will process and post it all as soon as I can. I also took a few photos, some of which I've included with this post.

My very early thoughts on this show are this:
  • The industry continues to develop lighter and lighter RVs. This is in large part due to the need for consumers to drive fuel-efficient vehicles, which of course are only able to tow so much.
  • More and more of the high end RVs are incorporating some of the high-end fixtures and accessories you'd find in more expensive homes. One of these is the residential-sized refrigerators, while another is kitchen faucets where the spigot pulls out to become a hand-held faucet nozzle.
  • Outdoor kitchens continue to be developed and incorporated into all types of RVs. Even the smallest units now have this popular items as an option.
  • Many of the sales men and women I talked to said the first day of the show was about average, but they were pleasantly surprised at how many younger couples and families came out. They said those people usually don't come out until the weekends, while the weekday crowds are typically filled with retirees and empty-nesters.
More on the show to come, including video tours of four RVs!