Weather is turning!


It's Saturday morning and I'm sitting here, still in my PJs, watching College Gameday on ESPN. My oldest two kids are still in bed and my youngest is watching the two-hour college football preview show with me. Last night we shivered a little bit while watching our local high school team, and today's high is mid- to high-60s.

Yup, summer has turned the corner into fall.

Oh, sure, the calendar says otherwise. But in my mind, when football season starts and it's time to wear long pants again, then it's officially fall.

Which brings me to to this point: It's Labor Day Weekend and I'm not camping. And I honestly don't know if we'll be able to get out again this year. My youngest is playing baseball right now, and he has games every Saturday now through October. Makes it difficult to go camping anywhere, but there's a few campgrounds close by that will probably work for a quick overnight trip.

My Uncle Ed was talking about how they went camping more than 25 nights this year. We only went camping about half that amount - our least time camping ever. But I guess, with three kids active in one thing or another, that's to be expected. Both boys play baseball from April through June and into July. And once school starts it gets even more difficult, especially with autumn baseball games every Saturday. Late July and most of August are the times we can really get away for an extended trip - and we do - but that's about it.

But that's okay. We'll continue to pack our camping season into a month and a half, with weekend trips thrown in whenever we can. Camping is meant to be a diversion from our routine, and since our routine is jam-packed with sports and other activities, each camping trip we're able to take will be that much more fun.
Author Avatar

My family (wife and three kids, sometimes the dog) and I have been RV campers since 2007. We own a 2000 Trail-Lite B22 Bantam hybrid, our tow vehicle is a 2006 Trailblazer LT EXT (5.3 V8 with 3.73 Rear Axle Ratio), and our setup includes the Equalizer sway controller. Looking to upgrade the camper in the near future, but until then we get out 2-3 times a month in season.