Day Four of the Fall Detroit RV Show


As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I was not able to go to the show on Saturday due to my son's baseball game (they lost), the MSU-UM football game (my team won) and that night the whole family went to a Doc Severinsen concert with the Toledo Symphony Orchestra (very cool).

I am going to the RV show today, Sunday, the final day of what has proven to be a very well-attended RV show. I'll be talking to MARVAC Director Bill Sheffer today for a recap, and I expect him to say nothing but positive things about the show.

Despite not going to the show Saturday, I do have a Day Four report for you.

Obviously, the far majority of people who go to RV Shows don't end up buying an RV at the show (unlike Skip and Nancy Yates who bought a Winnebago Journey, as highlighted in my Day Two report). We either already have an RV or we're at the show just because we've got nothing better to do.

The Felmlees fall into the first category. I caught up with John and Karen Felmlee of Rochester, Michigan as they were strolling down the RV aisles.

"We generally come to all these shows," Jim said. "We enjoy seeing all the new RVs. We already own our own RV, but generally we come to see all the new features and one we really like are the outdoor kitchens."

"You know, when you're camping, you spend all your time outside anyways," Karen added. "So an outdoor kitchen makes perfect sense."

After agreeing that most RVers hardly ever cook inside their camper, unless weather dictates otherwise, Jim summed up the RV show experience that most everyone can relate to.

"We come here partly for enjoyment, part of it is a little bit practical, and part of of it is for pure dreaming -- in case we ever retire and get a chance to go full-time RVing."

Another couple I ran into was Geraldine Laczek of Macomb Township and her daughter-in-law Debby Laczek, of Metamora, Michigan. Like the Felmlees, they already owned their own RVs and were at the show just to enjoy all the new RVs.

They both also liked the outdoor kitchens and indoor fireplaces, while Debby said she liked the Montana fifth wheel with the living room up front floor plan. Their conversation with me, along with my personal video tour of the fifth wheel Geraldine mentioned, is in today's video.

As I mentioned, I'm headed to the show for its final day, today. I'm going with my dad (Outback travel trailer), Uncle Ed (Rockwood bunkhouse), Uncle Bob (Trail Lite fifth wheel) and Uncle Tom (another fifth wheel). I'll have a Day Five post tomorrow and a Final Recap in the days to follow.
Author Avatar

My family (wife and three kids, sometimes the dog) and I have been RV campers since 2007. We own a 2000 Trail-Lite B22 Bantam hybrid, our tow vehicle is a 2006 Trailblazer LT EXT (5.3 V8 with 3.73 Rear Axle Ratio), and our setup includes the Equalizer sway controller. Looking to upgrade the camper in the near future, but until then we get out 2-3 times a month in season.